Re: Adhesive for SMD components

Le 15/09/2014 08:30, Lorenzo Marcantonio a écrit :
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 07:09:32PM -0400, Carl Poirier wrote:
>> The SMD resistors and capacitors have an adhesive dot in the middle. Should
>> all SMD components have one? If so, is there a recommended size?
>
> Adhesive is only used for some kind of manufacturing (SMD on wave
> - mostly obsolete - and two side processing without differentiated
> melting point). Size depends on the specifics of the adhesive and on the
> weight of the component, so AFAIK there is no standard.
>
> I'd leave it out of the standard library, it's a very specialized
> feature. Never had to use glue in my life:P

I agree: a "glue" layer is not useful (mostly obsolete), and I also
never had to use it.

Adhesive layers (note: they are not named glue layers) are certainly a
very specialized feature.

On the other hand, they are paired layers.

Please see them like layers which can be used to draw some specific
things closely related to a footprint, like its thermal radiator, a
carbon paste layer ...

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS