Re: TO-220 mounting tab

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Carl Poirier wrote:
>
>     I'd like to solve in the KLC the issue raised here
>     <https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/pull/76>.

There are sometimes reasons to separate connections to TO-220/247
leadframes, but I think this information should be conveyed in design
notes on schematic as it is so special.

The current situation of multiple variants of same housing depending on
a device is not too good regarding usability. Sometimes standards are
here for a reason...

Some examples how to:

https://code.launchpad.net/~oyvind-aabling/kicad-newlib/mod

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~oyvind-aabling/kicad-newlib/mod/view/head:/modules/oaa_discret-transistor1.brd

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~oyvind-aabling/kicad-newlib/mod/view/head:/modules/oaa_discret-transistor2.brd

Floating mechanical pads on isolated packages are no name as the
connection is not dictated by package leadframe, but surrounding design.
These libs are planned to be as general as possible without duplication,
so one is supposed to do a board/project level edit of mechanical hole
properties. To me this has been the most workable solution.

-Vesa