Re: THT components anchor

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 18:00:15 +0200,
KERUSEY (Do odczytu) wrote:

> "In contrast, here I have my doubts: >>For through-hole components,
> footprint anchor is set on the pad 1.<< - Does it mean that part during
> rotation will change its position?"
>
> Interesting feedback, and seems to be a legitimate. Especially if you
> only need just reverse some THT component on the finished board.
>
> Is one of the KLC authors can answer why such a rule?

Yes, it's simple. IPC says so, that's the only reason. Don't know about
IEC or ISO (they differ in some thing from IPC, like the zero
orientation), but IPC is the dominant standard.

In fact I *dont* follow that rule, exactly for that reason. Except for
modular connectors (like terminal blocks) where it's easier to array
them...

So, no particular or technical reason, just current practice. Personal
theory: probably that's because THT inserting machines are programmed
with pin 1 while SMD machines have the center nozzle?

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl