Re: KiCad LIbrary Convention update 1.1

Le 12/09/2016 à 03:50, Carl Poirier a écrit :
> The ECO layers are not paired. When you flip a footprint, the value stays on the same ECO layer.
> Jean-Pierre, how is that a problem if the value is purely for user reference?

Yes, *currently* this is a problem (due to the fact the Pcbnew behavior is based on the fact there
are different layers for flipped and normal fotprints, and some are paired)

- Texts not on a paired layer are not mirrored (the back side of a board will be not easy/not
possible to print)
this is the major issue.
- You cannot have different colors or visibility for flipped and not flipped values
- you cannot always print the footprints only on the top or only on the bottom board side (they have
a common layer).
- in select/edit, you cannot have a priority to the overlapping text values on the selected layer
(because it it the same)

But what is the problem with the current convention (values in fab layer) ?
- values can be set as invisible (empty string is not good because in a library it is a dummy text
replaced as soon as a netlist is read)
- even with visible values you can easily enable or disable them in plot and in display options.

In other words, what problem do you want to fix?

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 9:26 PM, Jean-Paul Louis <louijp@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:louijp@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     in 40+ years of electronic manufacturing, I almost never saw values in silk screen.
>     RefDes are fine for sparse boards, but useless with very dense boards.
>     Values could be on some user layer, or maybe in one of the ECO layers.

Currently they are on the fab layer, which was added especially to put items which cannot be put on
the silk screen.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS