Re: My Future With Kubuntu

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 7:22 AM, Rik Mills <rikmills@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The situation regarding suspended Ninja status/git & ppa access was
> discussed in #kubuntu-devel on IRC on Saturday 18th March.
>
> https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2017/03/18/%23kubuntu-devel.html#t16:05
>
> Most participants seemed to favour restoration on a strictly provisional
> or conditional basis, but a fairly major question regarding Simon's
> proposed course of action (1-3) in his email below from Jan 22 was left
> unanswered.
>
> Specifically:
>
> https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2017/03/18/%23kubuntu-devel.html#t16:17
>
> [16:16] <acheronuk> I for one hoped that things would change fairly
> rapidly so privs could be restored. but things did not go that way.
> [16:16] <yofel> indeed
> [16:17] <wxl> acheronuk: to be clear, what things were you hoping to see?
> [16:17] <wxl> perhaps tsimonq2 can explain why they did not occur?
> [16:18] <clivejo> wxl: I guess the points on the email reply
> [16:18] <clivejo> documentation etc
> [16:18] <clivejo> things that don't need LP commit access to do
> [16:18] <wxl> which email is this again?
> [16:18] <acheronuk>
> https://lists.launchpad.net/kubuntu-council/msg00180.html
> [16:18] <wxl> thx
> [16:19] <wxl> well, tsimonq2 ?
> [16:20] <clivejo> those are some very valid issues which affect us
> [16:21] <clivejo> and I was very impressed by him offering to work on them
>
> I think this needs to be answered by Simon before any more progress can
> be made.
>
> I am presuming Simon simply missed that Q at the time, or when reading
> back in the logs.........
>
> Rik

Thanks for raising this issue, Rik. I helped Simon write the email
below, and have been patiently waiting and sometimes reminding Simon
of what he proposed to do, without result.

This is disappointing, and I can't agree on even provisional commit
access until Simon speaks up, and says what precisely he plans to do
to regain his access.

More below.

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 03:09 AM, Simon Quigley <tsimonq2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Kubuntu Council,
>>
>> I would like to start by apologizing. I would like to apologize not
> only for
>> not being here for the past couple of weeks, but for my conduct the day
>> before leaving. In this email, I would like to explain what I did, why
> I did
>> it, what I think of my actions now, and what I would like to do going
>> forward.

::snip history, and apology::

>> Moving forward from this, I would like to propose a short-term plan as to
>> what I do in Kubuntu from this point on until my ninja access is
> restored. I
>> would like to work on the following projects, using pull requests/merge
>> proposals when necessary:
>>
>>  1. Get some solid development documentation. Something Valorie could
> follow
>> and understand (:P). This includes complete documentation describing
> how to
>> use KCI (I’ll need people to get me screenshots as I don’t have access
> to do
>> anything but read-only tasks…), development tools, our workflow, and any
>> other relevant documentation.

I really, really want good documentation. However, as far as I know,
Simon has not even logged in, or read what we already have. I have
been busy with other things, like going to India for conf.kde.in, but
this lack of interest has sapped my enthusiasm to continue.

We very much need not just user documentation, but packaging and other
developer documentation.

>>  2. Reorganize kubuntu-automation so we know exactly what does what and we
>> have some solid documentation as to how to use everything. I would also
>> finish writing unit tests and any other automated testing we could use to
>> ensure that everything always Just Works.

Has there been any work on this?

>>  3. Figure out what in the KCI code does what, either rewrite the majority
>> of it in a more efficient and readable language or get some solid
>> documentation for what code does what and documentation on
> contributing and
>> editing code. After I do this, I want to make sure once and for all
> that we
>> have kubuntu_stable branches working and buildable images (maybe even
>> autopkgtests to ensure that nothing breaks when we upload it to the
>> archive). One more thing for this item, we need to find a way to leave
> notes
>> on each one of the jobs and/or ignore it in KCI to finally get ALL of the
>> jobs working or bugs reported to get them working.

I've not seen progress here, yet. Documentation of what we have seems
like a good first step. Does it really need to be re-written?

>> Those are three elephants in the room that I really think we need to get
>> going to make the most use out of our tools. This will really help us
> in the
>> long run if this is documented very well.
>>
>> Again, I apologize. I realize what I did was a terrible decision, but
> I look
>> forward to working in the Kubuntu team for a long time to come, and I
> would
>> like to be able to make things right and solve any issues I may have
> caused.
>> Please let me know if there is anything specific I can do to earn ninja
>> status back besides knocking out those three big tasks and doing other
>> miscellaneous packaging tasks that may arise.
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/netflix/chaosmonkey
>>
>> --
>> Simon Quigley

A new task has been mentioned, that would add to Simon's skills --
dealing with the split PIM package copyright files. "Help needed - Fix
debian/copyright on split kdepim packages"
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/2017-March/011168.html>
tells the tale.

Really, the ball is in your court, Simon. We want you to work with us
effectively, which means restoring your access. However, we've not
seen any sign that that is important to you. If you want to regain
your access, and want to change your list of what you will do in order
to regain it, please make that clear.

The "light at the end of the tunnel" has been clear to me all along.
You proposed some tasks, we said "Yay!" and have been waiting ever
since.

All the best,

Valorie