Re: Refactoring kubuntu. org

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:50 AM Rick Timmis <ricktimmis68@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I have a proposal to address our out of date WordPress website and its
> infrastructure. Building a dynamically generated site makes maintenance and
> administration an important task, and keeping everything secure even more
> so.
>
> Further, making contributions as easy as possible for our community would
> help with engagement. Of course we need to do that in a managed way to
> ensure that we get excellent, and relevant content on our website.
>
> My proposal is to reimplement kubunbtu.org using the Hugo static site
> generator. This would enable content of the site to be managed via KDE's
> GitLab instance, or Launchpad. All content is stored as Markdown .MD files,
> with all images stored in an /images directory and all the sources stored
> in Git, or Bzr respectively.

Cool. KDE is moving this way already. You might want to hang out in
#kde-www and chat with the web devels there about your plan.

Content updates then become simple merge requests, and if we chose KDE's
> GitLab instance then updates can even be made directly within GitLab using
> the WebIDE.

Unsure whether or not we should use KDE's gitlab or just use our own?

The website would be built by the Hugo generator and deployed to
> production, based upon merge triggers on the Master branch, perhaps hooked
> into our CI systems as a Jenkins build job.
>
> I'd probably need some support and input in regard to UX and Graphic
> design, but the technical stuff I can take care of.
>
> Let me know your thoughts ?
>
> Do you like this idea ?
>

> Best Wishes
>
> Rick Timmis