Summary Notes from Conversation with JR

Hello KC

I got an opportunity to catch up with Jonathan Riddell ( Kubuntu Treasurer)
and we talked around the following points

1.) Kubuntu Financials and Fund Raising - Kubuntu has around £18,000 in the
fund, which has accrued over the period of a few years, and is ALL
collected via the donate button on our website.
The account continues to grow steadily via donations, and therefore the
Kubuntu Council should be encouraged to think about how to use those funds
in the context of Kubuntu
*Please do share your ideas*

2.) The Kubuntu Magazine idea - JR was very supportive of this idea,
however, he had good advice, in that he felt it could appeal to a broader
audience if it were a KDE magazine, that provided broader coverage across
multiple distro's (e.g OpenSuse, Ubuntu Studio, Neon etc...)
JR also discussed with me the current KDE Goals https://kde.org/goals and
also directed me to open a dialogue with the KDE Promo team which I am
doing.
Specifically the goal of 'KDE is All About the Apps', he felt that this
objective could blend very well with the Magazine Idea.

3.) We talked about the Kubuntu Focus, and the KDE Slimbook and shared
information about those two products, along with the developing
relationship with Tuxedo computers. The market for OEM Linux hardware is
around 2-3% of the global computer market, Windows, dominates and Mac
follows with a significantly lower margin. However, we should keep in mind
that a small percentage of a very big number is still a large number.

Overall it was a very positive conversation, Jonathan is interested in
contributing to the magazine, and is very supportive of initiatives to
promote and grow our communities.

We agreed to catch up again in a month's time for another VR Coffee and
chat, and I will give feedback to the Kubuntu Council as that progresses.

*Next Steps*

Chat on IRC/Telegram with KC revealed that our first base is to define a
Vision/Goal ( Thanks Valorie, and Myriam ) - What I plan to do next is to
draft an updated Kubuntu Vision / Goal, once I have something that the
Council can work with I'll share it for refinement and review.

Hope this is a useful update

--
Best Wishes

Rick

*For additional info, social, blog and contact details drop by my website.*

       *ricktimmis.com* <http://www.ricktimmis.com>

Follow ups