Re: PROPOSAL: Release Manager Rotation

On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Joey Stanford wrote:

- A fallback process for when things go wrong. This could be as simple
  as saying "the backup RM for this release is (Francis|Kiko)."

Another option is the way I learned:  Be the deputy RM for a few
cycles.  Under the watchful eye of the RM, act as if you are the RM
(akin to the co-pilot flying the plane under the eye of the Captain).
The benefit to the RM is that there is an extra pair of eyes and
someone to partner with. The benefit of the deputy role is learning
experience.

This has worked well for me, on both sides of the aisle. Most recently, I mentored a new Python release manager and that transition went very well. It was also quite humbling when I finally met him and he turned out to be in high school (and had to have his mom drive him to the Python conference!).

+1 on release manager rotations, though on a fully voluntary basis.

-Barry