Re: RFC and ideas: Improving the PPA experience

Michael Nelson wrote:
> Hi Launchpad users and developers!
>
> I'm starting the process of updating some soyuz-pages to the new
> 3.0-style designs, and I got stuck on the PPA index page - mainly
> because of the huge opportunity we have to improve the page.
>
> I've outlined the main problem (as I see it) and have included a mock of
> one possible solution at:
>
> https://dev.launchpad.net/VersionThreeDotO/Soyuz/PPAUI
>
> If you use the PPA page as a user or developer, I'd love to get your
> feedback and suggestions as well as your own mocks if you have time.
>
> Feel free to update the wiki page directly, but for the conversation,
> please reply here too with a summary of your thoughts.

I like most of this, but do have a few suggested changes:

1. Even with a "user" hat on, I still want to see at a glance what
packages a PPA can offer me *and* I want to see what packages I may not
want, but may be letting myself in for by adding the PPA to my sources.
I don't think "recent" or "most popular" should be the only determining
factor for display on the front page - I'd prefer full information on
which source package names exist in which series be visible.

2. A common use case is to do simultaneous uploads for all supported
series - this would overflow the proposed "recent uploads" section with
various series of a single source package name, in a single batch of
uploading. Options to fix this include restricting the "3 most X
packages" lists to a single series (autodetected with changeable
dropdown, as exists for the sources.list lines), or (potentially tricky)
batching uploads for the same source package name that occur within an
hour or so of each other.

3. It would be really nice if the owner's description field could make
use of a severely restricted subset of HTML or wiki-esque markup - e.g.
bold, italic, font-size.

Max.