Guiding people on their first visit to dev.launchpad.net

Howdy Karl,

The Ingres DBMS wiki does a really good job of helping visitors,
particularly first-time visitors, find the information they want.

It has two tables. The first is headed:

  "I am a"

and the second is headed:

  "I want to"

Each table then has options, with icons, such as "Application
developer" or "Translator" in the first table and "Download source" or
"Migrate to Ingres" in the second.

I think we should adopt and adapt this approach for our dev and help
wikis. Let's look at the dev wiki first.

I'd suggest we go along with the two sections used by Ingres: "I am a"
and "I want to". In the first, I think we probably want:

 * developer: find out about contributing to Launchpad
 * tester: help QA Launchpad
 * writer: help with Launchpad documentation
 * project owner: bring your project to Launchpad (link to the
relevant help wiki section)

For the second, I'd suggest:

 * submit a patch
 * join the community
 * get the source code

Clearly I'm probably missing something from both of those.

Any thoughts?

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting

Follow ups