Re: Launchpad on Python 2.5

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> There were several sessions at UDS where we discussed Karmic Python
> support in general and which version of Python to target for Launchpad
> in particular.  The decision was made to target Python 2.6.  IIRC,
> Karmic will not include Python 2.5 but only 2.6 and there are now back
> ported packages of 2.6 for Hardy (the last LTS release).
>
> The take away is that we want Launchpad to run on Python 2.6, and Gary
> and his team have been doing a lot of work to get us there.  If we need
> to get Launchpad running on 2.5 as a stepping stone, so be it, but we
> should eventually end up on Python 2.6.

This makes a lot of sense - Python 2.6 is already Karmic's default
Python version.

I conjecture, though, that all work done to make Launchpad run on Python
2.5 would also be required to make it work on Python 2.6, which is why I
 think it would be a comfortable stepping stone.

> I had several branches where I worked on this back before we open
> sourced.  I think for other reasons those branches are obsolete so I
> abandoned them.  Things will get easier still when Launchpad is fully
> buildout-based.

Indeed. Though meanwhile, patching the lp-sourcedeps/sourcecode/*
branches provides a way to parallelize the buildoutification and
newer-python work.

Max.