Re: Only admins can anoint other admins?

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 08:48 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Let's say you're an administrator of a team, but not its owner.  You
> want to anoint other admins to help you with the team.  Unfortunately
> you can't.
>
> By design, only the owner of a team can anoint other admins, but that
> seems questionable.  The owner often doesn't want to be bothered with
> such trivial things, which is why she made you an admin in the first
> place!
>
> It's likely an easy fix to allow an admin to make other admins.  Is
> there a reason why we would not want to allow this?

I could see it going either way. I would expect things like the Ubuntu
membership boards which are delegated-to, but not self-formed to need
the current separation between - we get given the ability to change the
membership of Ubuntu by adding members, but we don't get to choose the
admins that get to do that :)

One way the owner could delegate /everything/  is to change the team
owner to another team:

groupfoo
owner: manager-of-foo
no admins

manager-of-foo
owner: manager-of-foo
<list your admins here>

But that seems arcane to me - more of a 'how we might model it under the
hood' rather than nice permission control.

-Rob