Re: staging was down last week & weekend

2009/8/21 Francis J. Lacoste <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On August 20, 2009, Steve McInerney wrote:
>> >  I couldn't find anything on the list in a brief scan.  What's the
>> > right escalation for such an outage?
>>
>> I'd suggest there isn't one and shouldn't be one, at least outside core
>> hours. Within core hours the process is well established: we get alerts
>> and respond based on priority need.
>>
>> Treating it as a production system would entail needing another another
>> system that could trial run these updates - and break - in the current
>> automated fashion. ie staging-production vs staging-staging. Or bring
>> back the rarely updated demo system.
>
> Right, staging is there for QA and one aspect of the QA is testing that the
> build system works. When it doesn't we need to fix it, but on working hours.

That's fine with me - and indeed I didn't escalate it on the weekend.
I just wondered if it was a known problem.

I do think it might be good to in future have a specific message to
the advanced user community (ie the dev list) saying "it was down and
now it's up."

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>