Re: thoughts on bug home page redesign

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Martin Pool<mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure if the Bugs homepage (eg
> <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/zookeepr>) is going to get refreshed
> for 3.0, but if it is I wanted to throw out a few thoughts.
>
> One that's been in the back of my mind for a while is that the page
> has no flow: a common thing, possibly the most common thing here, is
> to want to file a new bug or discover that the thing you're looking
> for is a dupe.   The eye movement for this is all wrong: there's a
> text field at the top with some buttons next to it and one tends to
> naturally see that as the place to type - but it's not.  The thing you
> actually want is 'file a bug' but that's down in the middle bottom,
> surely some of the lowest-rent real estate, next to a similarly-shaped
> decoy button.  It's true it's a red button but that's not quite
> enough, and it's somewhat hidden next to some big bold blue text.
>
> So in the redesign I'd like people to at least consider having one
> text field that can be used to either search for or file a bug.
>
> That would cut out one entirely unnecessary page load of
> <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/zookeepr/+filebug> and also possibly
> make the page mentally easier.

I think this is a great idea.

> The other thing would be to just take a really hard look at how much
> low-value data is on this page: the piechart, the Key contacts, the
> fact there are 0 bugs fixed elsewhere and zero CVE bugs.  It's not
> quite zero-value but it is something that is given far too much space
> at the moment.

Regarding the pie chart, I'd love to see more data visualization on
Launchpad. I don't think the pie chart is right for this.

Regarding 0 bugs fixed & 0 CVE bugs, I think we should hide them if
they are 0. If a bug is fixed elsewhere, that's an exciting event that
should prompt swift action, I think we should make the page design
reflect that. I don't know much about the CVE workflow (yet!), but
I'll wager it's similar.

jml