Re: Improving testsuite performance through use of a ramdisk (was Re: Test suite taking 4.5 hours on EC2)

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I put /var/lib/postgresql on a ramdisk and re-ran the test suite.  This
> time it took only 124m.  Both machines were otherwise idle, though I don't
> think it would make a difference.  The 4% savings doesn't seem worth the
> effort.

> Anyway, it was interesting and a bit disappointing.  I'll try another run
> perhaps over the weekend trying to capture some i/o metrics.  If anybody has
> interesting ideas for tests and data capture, follow up to this thread.
>
> I do think that increasing the parallelism of our test suite would be a
> fruitful avenue to explore.

I agree. The bug is
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/107371.

Once it's feasible to be running more than one instance locally, it's
straightforward to take advantage of multi-core using subunit. Ask
vila about how he runs the bzr suite some time. :)

jml