Re: Using identi.ca for Launchpad system status messages

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 04:54:42PM +0100, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Right now, we have a page on the blog (/maintenance), a
> "notifications" category on the blog, the general Launchpad
> Twitter/identi.ca accounts, the launchpad-announce list.
>
> Anything that requires more explanation could still be posted to the
> notifications of the blog and anything that pretty much every LP user
> needs to know about should go out to the -announce list. I'm not sure
> what to do with the maintenance page, other than move it to the dev
> wiki; I think we could use it to list planned maintenance times, as we
> do now, but the identi.ca page should do that. The only advantage, I
> see, of retaining the maintenance page is that it allows us to show
> fairly far off into the future what's planned, whereas the identi.ca
> account would be a moving target.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea; it's easy to automate posting to
identi.ca and it has all the plusses you listed. I realize it doesn't
have really reliable storage or searching but simplicity in this sort of
solution normally means it's robust -- and besides, what we care is that
people have a place where they can easily go to see what the /current/
status was, not the status on a specific date in the past. I'm +1 on the
idea.

We could have launchpad.net/status redirect there if we wanted a
shortcut, btw.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko