Re: Proposal: Remove people.canonical.com/~herb/ tarball

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Max Bowsher wrote:

Karl Fogel wrote:
Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx> writes:
I think we should remove the people.canonical.com/~herb/ tarball.

1) It's of db-devel, not devel. Not what a beginner developer wants.

2) It's a standalone tree, not a shared repository plus branch, as is
customary for LP development.

3) It's badly affected by early 2a fragmentation, a modern bzr version
packs that repository down from 219MB to 150MB.

4) It ships a working tree, if the goal is to minimize download size,
that's counterproductive.

5) It's sufficiently out of date at this point that you still have ~25MB
to pull it up to date.

Alternatively we could rectify all of the above and republish it.

IMHO, we should remove it simply because it will be ongoing complexity
if we don't.

Oh, that too :-)

Accordingly I've removed the link from https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting.

Removed from people.u.c/~herb