Re: Call for Suggestions: Making it easier to start hacking on Launchpad

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/10/8 Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

jml asked for ideas, so I put one out there to kick start things :-) The
 advantages of a VM:

- The environment is consistent between development setups, staging and
production systems. We get pretty close as it is, but this approach gets
closer.

- We get a work around for the well known ports issue. PostgreSQL on port
5432, Apache on port 80 and 443, Librarian, mock services, soon memcached
and rabbitmq - all are fundamentally the same problem and we need to solve
them all if we ever want to run multiple instances of the test suite or
parallelize it on the same box.

Could they be configured to all run on 127.0.0.something?

They usually are (its even the default for Ubuntu packages like PostgreSQL). The well known ports are the problem - we don't have a way of starting services on random unused ports and communicating that information to tests. There is nothing on my list that can't be solved, its just a matter of actually doing the work of fixing the fixtures and updating the tests and setup documentation.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/