Launchpad team changes

Hello everyone,

In the last two months a lot of changes have happened on the Launchpad team.
I'm sharing these changes with you so that you have a better sense of how the
team is organized.

We have created three new roles in Launchpad:

1. Product Strategist (Jonathan Lange - jml)

This new role will bring more focus to the features and behaviour of the
Launchpad application. Jono will be responsible for making sure that Launchpad
is more than a hodge-podge of features, but that they are integrated into a
coherent whole. He will help individual teams (Bugs, Code, Registry,
Translations, Soyuz) precise and define the scope and design of the changes
they work on.

Karl Fogel (kfogel) and Matthew Revell (mrevell) will help him
as part of the new Strategy team in these responsibilities. Expect an
announcement from them shortly explaining the focus of Launchpad for the near
future.

Come talk to Jono if you have questions about Launchpad direction, or if you
don't know who to talk to about the design of specific features.

2. Technical Architect (Bjorn Tillenius - BjornT)

This new position will bring more cohesiveness to the overall Launchpad code
base. The architect is responsible for identifying the needs for common
abstractions across the applications, and then having them implemented, either
by doing the work himself, or coordinating others to do it.

By having somebody dedicated to streamlining the architecture of
the application, we'll make it a lot easier to develop new features in
Launchpad. Bjorn's first project is to make it easier to develop using test-
driven development robust JavaScript features.

Come talk to Bjorn for any questions regarding the state of the Launchpad code
base, or if you want to work on some cross-application refactoring.

3. Project Manager (Brian Fromme - mrjazzcat)

This new position was created to help coordinate the effort across the
different application teams. In the future, you can expect a lot more features
levering multiple applications, and Brian will help make the development and
deployment of those smooth.

He'll also help us tighten our processes. His first project in this area is to
help us improve the way we do roadmaps, prioritization and scheduling.

Come talk to Brian if you have questions about the Launchpad development
process.

With Bjorn becoming the Launchpad Architect, Deryck Hodge (deryck) is the new
Bugs team lead. Don't hesitate to go to him for anything related to the Bugs
application.

Two temporary changes: I (Francis Lacoste - flacoste) will be filling the
shoes of the irreplaceable Kiko as Launchpad Project Lead until February 2010.
(Kiko is helping other teams within Canonical during that time). Gary Poster
(gary_poster) is acting as the Launchpad Foundations team lead during the same
period.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

--