Re: Including test dependencies in our package releases

On Oct 8, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Gary Poster wrote:

Therefore, I think that the "test what you fly, fly what you test" axiom should be followed as a rule, unless there are really compelling reasons not to. A few additional dependencies are generally worth it to me for the additional confidence in my releases.

As a general principle, I agree. I think that the few additional dependencies you'll get because of your tests will be far outweighed by your package's run time dependencies (if you're anything like lazr.restful :). Seriously though, distributing a fully self- contained and self-testable piece of software improves user confidence in the code for a small price of bandwidth and disk space. And even those can be amortized in a typical application if the test dependencies are shared among packages.

I do think that there is a subjective point at which the benefit outweighs the cost. I probably start to feel that I can break the rule for library packages when the test dependencies are hard to build or have a count of more than five or six. On the other hand, I pretty much never want to break the rule for deployments of production systems. In other words, if lazr.authentication started getting really bloated because of test dependencies, I would be tempted to break the rule for its release, and separate out the test dependencies; contrariwise, if Launchpad got a lot of test dependencies, I would not be tempted at all to break the rule for its deployment.

I agree that there can be exceptions, but let's evaluate them on a case-by-case basis.

Perhaps this is worth a reviewers' meeting discussion, or maybe we can reach consensus on the list.

Feel free to add it to the agenda for tomorrow.
-Barry