Re: ubottu timing out a lot

2009/10/26 Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Tom Berger <tom.berger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2009/10/21 Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hello Launchpadders,
>>>
>>> In the spirit of the Zero OOPS policy, I'd like to draw attention to this bug:
>>>
>>> <ubottu> Error: Could not parse data returned by Launchpad: The read
>>> operation timed out (https://launchpad.net/bugs/456690)
>>>
>>> Well, it's not really a bug yet, I guess. The thing is that ubottu has
>>> been timing out a lot and that looks really awkward when you are
>>> discussing things on #launchpad or #ubuntu-devel.
>>>
>>> Is there a bug for this particular timeout?
>>
>> Does Ubottu still use the text interface?
>
> No idea.
>
>> If yes, it will be great if
>> we can get it refactored to use the API instead. It will be good to
>> eventually stop supporting the text dump, and concentrate on making
>> the API work smoothly.
>>

> Would fixing the timeouts in the test dump be a pain?

I don't know.

The problem with the text interface is that because it needs to dump
all the data related to the bug, it must query it all when processing
a single request - that rules out some of the most successful
techniques for optimizing views (batching and asynchronous fetching of
page parts). I think it's worth investigating, but note that even if
it's not much of a pain to fix it once, it's a pain to fix it
repeatedly, which is why I suggest that we deprecate the text
interface and concentrate on the API as a long-term strategy.