Re: launchpad-dependencies 0.56

On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:19 PM, Max Bowsher wrote:

launchpad-dependencies (0.56) karmic; urgency=low

 * Add python2.5-dev in preparation for moving to that version.  Tests
   run on
   Hardy with only this additional dependency, so I am not also adding
   python2.5 versions of the other python2.4-* dependencies (e.g.,
   python2.5-imaging), per discussion with Salgado.

-- Gary Poster (Gerbrand Poster IV) <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:14:15 -0500

Gary,

You've not pushed this version to the bzr branch.

Agh, I *thought* there was something like that, but Salgado didn't know about it (and was helping me learn how to make these packaging changes).

I don't see a document in the dev wiki about the desired process. Could someone who knows the details document it? I'll be happy to follow it.

Also, per a discussion? Can I read it? :-)

Agh # 2, that was on a list the Foundations team uses to coordinate sometimes. I've worried about that before. I'll figure out something to do differently so it is open. I like having a smaller group for some discussions, so maybe we will continue but use a public and publicized foundations channel. Thank you for calling me on this.

The gist was that he was teaching me how to do this; I asked him whether I should add python2.5 versions of all the python2.4-* dependencies; and we agreed that for a first cut we could go with the single change that made the tests pass on Hardy when he did his tests.

If you (or one of the other packagers on the team) disagree, I know I would be happy to follow your advice, and I bet Salgado would be very receptive as well.

Moreover, I was planning on asking you or flacoste for advice on what I ought to do for the Hardy version. The change you had made for 0.55hardy1 looked pretty straightforward, but I thought it would be worth doublechecking. I just need to make a version that excludes python2.4-support AFAICT. Documenting how this change is supposed to work with the bzr branches would be useful too, I guess.

Gary