Re: Immediate plan for Build Farm generic jobs

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Michael Hudson <
michael.hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Julian Edwards wrote:
> > There is one nightmare part to this - the implementation of
> > IBuilder.findBuildCandidate().  This is currently a very ugly query that
> > decides which job to dispatch next, based on a few criteria about the
> jobs.  I
> > expect it to get to troll-like ugliness by the time we finish and I'm not
> sure
> > how it will work yet, it depends on how Michael re-factors IBuilder and
> sets
> > up an interface that other builders must implement.
>
> Wow, that's a beauty alright.

Hmm... as far as I understand it, we aren't going to have generalised
builders that can do both binary-package building and branch->source package
building initially right? Rather, we'll have different types of builders. So
although we'll want to keep the scoring consistent for both so that when we
*do* have such infrastructure they'll be queued fairly, currently each
builder type will be able to implement its own findBuildCandidate() and only
be looking for builds of the required type... in which case, the short-term
solution for findBuildCandidate() should be pretty straight forward?

-Michael.