Re: Sampledata updates in db-devel?

Hi Aaron,

У сре, 25. 11 2009. у 12:45 -0500, Aaron Bentley пише:

> I just got a bunch of strange test failures because there had been
> sampledata changes, and I didn't run "make schema".  They were Soyuz
> test failures, so I asked Julian about it, and he got Muharem involved.
>  So there was a cost in terms of wasted time.
>
> I don't like to run make schema more than I have to, because it's slow
> and it clears any local changes I've made.  And I only *know* I have to
> run it if there have been schema changes.

I usually only run database/schema/upgrade.py instead when there are
schema changes: it's so much quicker. ;)

> Would it make sense to have a policy of landing sampledata updates in
> db-devel instead?  That's where I'd expect to find database changes, and
> schema updates might have forced me to run "make schema" anyway.

I'd dislike the policy if it affects launchpad_dev sampledata as well:
developers are usually working with devel trees, and if we can get into
the habit of introducing more sampledata as we develop features into
current-dev.sql, we'd have a so much more useful launchpad_dev.

As far as the current.sql policy, we already have it: do not add
sampledata for use in testing unless absolutely necessary.  It applies
to both devel and db-devel.  I believe that one is sufficient and if it
happens once every 9 months, I won't consider it a big deal.

Updating current.sql at the same time DB patches are landed is probably
a good idea, and if that's not a policy yet, I'd support it :)

Cheers,
Danilo