Re: Venutian development.

On 09-12-02 03:00 PM, Diogo Matsubara wrote:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Karl Fogel <karl.fogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to get a sense of what it's like to use Launchpad from the
other end of a slow link (as if I'm on Venus), but I don't want the
inconvenience of slowing down all the other stuff I do on the Internet.

Does anyone know a good recipe for this?

I recall one circulating internally among some Canonical developers a
while ago, but can't find it now.  Once we have a recipe, I'll put it on
dev.launchpad.net.

Here is the full text:

Fast is Beautiful

One of the most significant aspects of the Launchpad experience in
Australia is the very high latency on connections to Launchpad — ping
time is around 300ms. The more roundtrips there are to the server, the
worse the experience is. If we're focusing more on user experience and
developing new UI techniques, then it's useful to get some idea of how
a high latency can affect the user.

Here's how you can do an actual experiment:

      sudo tc qdisc add dev lo root netem delay 150ms

Will set the latency on your loopback device to 150ms, making the
total roundtrip 300ms. Normal system behaviour is restored with:

      sudo tc qdisc del dev lo root

(Commands obtained from http://bazaar-vcs.org/SmartPushAnalysis1.4)

It'll be fun to try this during the AJAX workshops. :)

jml