Re: First cut at recipe db-schema patch

James Westby wrote:
> On Wed Dec 02 06:53:49 -0500 2009 Jonathan Lange wrote:
>> 3. Branches have the owner in the URL, not doing that here would seem
>> to be inconsistent.
>
> This for me is the convinving argument.

[..]

> Therefore I think consistency should win out. As Jono said, if they
> are different then to the user it can look like another weird
> LP inconsistency.
+1

> Also, taking the less-trodden path is tempting because we avoid a pile
> of known issues, but it does open us up to several new ones, and we
> will know less how to tackle them.
>
> For instance we want inheritence in recipes. Therefore one needs
> to reference another. In text form this may be by URI. Bazaar
> has stacked branches that reference each other by relative URI,
> which has some interesting characteristics, for instance look
> at the dance that is required to upgrade branches on LP to 2a.

> How will we store the inheritence in the DB, how will it be
> presented?
Inheritance relationships are typically captured by directed and acyclic
graphs and the following paper:

    "Maintaining transitive closure of graphs in SQL",
    http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~wongls/psZ/dlsw-ijit97-16.ps

presents a technique for storing DAGs in the database that was used to
implement package sets.

[..]

Best regards

--