Subject: New AWS Northern California Region & Enhanced Amazon EC2 Boot Options
Date: December 4, 2009
From: Amazon Web Services <no-reply-aws@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxx" <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear AWS Customers,

We are excited to announce the immediate availability of two frequently
requested features including the new US-West (Northern California) Region and
the ability to launch Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances
directly from an Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) snapshot.

*The Northern California Region*
You can now choose to locate your AWS resources in our Northern California
Region, which like other AWS Regions, contains multiple redundant Availability
Zones. Utilizing this Region can reduce your data access latencies if you have
customers or existing data centers in the Northern California area.  This new
Region is available for Amazon EC2, Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3),
Amazon SimpleDB, Amazon Simple Queue Service (Amazon SQS), and Amazon Elastic
MapReduce.  For Northern California Region pricing, please see the detail page
for each service on http://aws.amazon.com

*Amazon EC2 Boot from Amazon EBS*
Amazon EC2 has also announced the ability to boot instances directly from
Amazon EBS snapshots, providing significantly increased flexibility in how
customers can manage their instances.  You can still save an Amazon Machine
Image (AMI) in an Amazon S3 bucket and boot it from the local instance store,
but you can now also choose to save AMIs as Amazon EBS snapshots and boot
directly from an Amazon EBS volume.  When an instance is booted from an Amazon
EBS snapshot, the root partition of the instance is created on an Amazon EBS
volume.  Instances booted from Amazon EBS volumes can be stopped and later
restarted, preserving any of the state that is saved to your volume and
allowing you to modify some properties of your instances while it is stopped.
For example, you can change your instance size or update the kernel it is
using, or attach your root partition to a different running instance, making
it easier to do debugging when you are creating new boot images.  When booting
from an Amazon EBS volume, AMIs and root partitions are no longer limited to
10GB, but can be up to 1TB in size, enabling significantly more complex
images.  Additionally, you are not charged for stopped instance hours and you
will only incur charges for your Amazon EBS volumes while your instance is
stopped, allowing you to reduce your Amazon EC2 costs when you do not need
your instances running. Customers can now use a newly launched API that makes
it easy to bundle images without using the command line tools, and can also
take advantage of the fact that the content of an Amazon EBS volume is
available to the instance immediately on volume creation which can lead to
much faster instance boot times.  For more details on this new addition to
Amazon EC2, please see the Boot from Amazon EBS Feature Guide (http://ec2-
downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/BootFromEBSGSGGuide.pdf).

We are excited to deliver these frequently requested features. Please see the
Northern California Region announcement (http://aws.amazon.com/about-
aws/whats-new/2009/12/03/aws-launches-the-northern-california-region) or the
Boot from Amazon EBS Feature Guide (http://ec2-
downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/BootFromEBSGSGGuide.pdf) to learn more about these
new Amazon Web Services features.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Web Services Team

We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. If you wish to remove yourself
from receiving future product announcements or the AWS Newsletter, please
update your communication preferences: https://aws-
portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/developer/account/index.html/104-4543842-2170300?ie=UTF8&action=edit-
communication-preferences

Amazon Web Services LLC is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Amazon.com is a
registered trademark of Amazon.com, Inc. This message produced and distributed
by Amazon Web Services, LLC, 1200 12th Ave South, Seattle, WA 98144.

Francis J. Lacoste
francis@xxxxxxxxxx