Re: RFC: Uptream linking to Ubuntu

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 03:24:09PM -0500, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> > I think instead we could just allow the links to be done to
> > distribution, and where possible the annotation with distroseries is
> > added, where it's not available, just let it be.
>
> I do not see how this helps. We still need to register every
> distribution, and it is clear, user do not care about every
> distribution. They barely give a toss for Debian.

Why do we /need/ to register every distribution? I think it's okay that
we allow people to add packaging links to other distros -- at least we
have a hint as to what the package name might be there, no?

> But the real issue is not about stopping users from linking to a
> distribution. but to clarify which packages are "officially" in
> distributions. 1/3 of lucid packaging links are to source package names
> there were never published in a primary or partner Ubuntu archive. The
> bugs about these links imply we should have never let them be created,
> but I think we need to examine why so many user (clearly upstream
> projects) are creating these.

I agree. Maybe the answer is just an easy radiobutton allowing a PPA to
be specified, and then using that information in a reasonable way?
--
Christian Robottom Reis | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko