Build engineer report, Dec 2009

Hello,

I was kind of, sort of, in a manner of speaking the build engineer for
December 2009.

In terms of code, all I did was change the AppServer layer so it
explodes more nicely if you've forgotten to run 'make schema'.

However, I also conducted a bit of a survey on what the pain points of
Launchpad development are. There were only five respondents, but even
then, there was a strong message: the TDD cycle is too slow, and the
cycle of making branches & landing them is too slow. News at 11. Full
survey results at http://paste.ubuntu.com/345051/

Also, when I fixed the bug in the AppServer layer, I kept a detailed
record of everything I did and how long it took. If someone (perhaps
the next build engineer? perhaps you?) were interested, they could
make a small value-stream map from the timeline, or write some tools
to automate the more repetitive steps.

Steps: http://paste.ubuntu.com/345058/
Timeline: http://paste.ubuntu.com/345057/

Hope this helps,