Re: RFC: Workflow changes to make linking packages to project easier

On 01/08/2010 05:29 PM, Curtis Hovey wrote:
I have created an illustrated guide to the workflow change I think we
want to make to improve the Ubuntu contributor's experience.
     https://dev.launchpad.net/Registry/UbuntuLinkUpstream

The saga explain the suggested changes and the motivations to make them.

This looks great Curtis, thanks for putting it together. In general, it looks like a great plan, although, as usual, a few comments popped in my head while reading through it:

"Distro series +packaging page"[1]
- This page is a fantastic idea, although I'd probably order them by "incompleteness" - The column names may not be super clear (maybe s/Branch/Code?). Also, bonus points if people can do something about it from that listing

"Source package +index page, unlinked"[2]:
- Instead of showing the information on the page, maybe it's worth having a call to action and the actual information in an overlay. It may be creating to much noise for people who don't care/don't know - I think we need to re-phrase some of the text in plainer English. Upstream association is probably not as clear to others at it is for us. Lets work on that with Matt R

"Source package +packaging page"[3]
- I'd split out the actions of linking to an existing one and creating into 2 on the page ("Link to an existing project" OR "Create a new one")

[1] https://dev.launchpad.net/Registry/UbuntuLinkUpstream?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=linked-packaging.png [2] https://dev.launchpad.net/Registry/UbuntuLinkUpstream?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=unlinked-pakage.png [3] https://dev.launchpad.net/Registry/UbuntuLinkUpstream?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=linking-package.png

--
Martin