Backing out the release and close bugs feature

Hi Matt, rocket scientists, et al.

We need to remove the section automatically mark bugs as fix released
section. I am near tears as remove the feature from the code.

I am seeing many timeouts on edge where I saw no timeouts in staging.
This is very troubling since staging is slower that edge. I tested the
same projects I tried to create releases for on edge.

The oops on edge indicate that we cannot make mass changes to bugs
because launchpad cannot build the list subscribers who should be
notified of the changes. While notify() is sending the signals to
update bug history, user karma, and bug subscribers, all this work must
happen in the time of the request.

Launchpad does not have a message queue system, so I would need to
prepare schema, model, and cron script changes for accommodate this
feature. All this must happen on staging, so this feature is at least 4
weeks away. It is probably longer because I worked on this in my after
hours; this feature is not a goal of the launchpad team.

The problem illustrates that we lack the infrastructure to painlessly
make an operation asynchronous. By painless, I mean schema and model
changes take more time to develop than sending a message to some other
process to do the work. Updating schemas often requires more planning
code then it took to create them. Moving the the bug notification
subscribers step to an async proc may help other process too, but the
bugs team has more important matter work work on.

This problem also illustrates why doing mass bug operations is hard.
Without a infrastructure fix, we are forced to create APIs that do small
operations, and build AJAX tools that call these small operations in
repetition. This seems woefully wrong given that we use notify() in the
code to uncouple the concerns of different tools and users.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/