uploading to the librarian without a database connection?

I would like to change the code import worker monitor processes to not
talk to the database directly, but mediate everything via the internal
xml-rpc server.  This will make setting up a new machine much easier,
(slightly) reduce the impact of any compromise and work around a bug I
have no other ideas on how to fix (#510490).

It's all easy enough, apart from one thing: the need to upload the log
file of the import to the librarian.  These log files can get pretty
large and staging them through the internal xml-rpc server just seems
wasteful silly.  Hence the question in the subject: is it possible to
upload to the librarian without a database connection?

It seems this is supported at the protocol level, but if there's a
librarian client that works in this way I can't find it.  Any advice is
welcome!  Even if it's "don't do that" :-)  At the moment it looks like
I'll have to write some more client code, but it's not like it's a very
complicated protocol.

Cheers,
mwh

Follow ups