Re: Does a Launchpad developer *really* need Slony-I installed?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Stuart Bishop wrote:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In the most recent launchpad-dependencies upload, Michael Barnett added
slony1-bin and postgresql-8.3-slony1 to launchpad-database-dependencies.

I can see how these would be wanted in production, but are they really
needed for development?

If you want to run a local replicated environment for testing, yes.

(make -C database/replication devsetup)

I'm probably the only person who has ever done this though.

I ask because Lucid doesn't ship postgresql-8.3-slony1 - it has
postgresql-8.4-slony1 instead - and before I look at making a build in
the PPA, I'd like to know whether that's actually needed.

I need slony1-bin & postgresql-8.4-slony1 and the identical version of
slony as postgresql-8.3-slony1 for Hardy too while you are there  ;)

Hmm.. there's not even a postgresql-8.4 in Hardy, I dare say you need
that first before you worry about slony :-)

pitti maintains backports in his PPA (https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/postgresql), but according to https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/431157 it should be in backports now.

No tests depend on this so we can drop things for now and revisit before
Staging gets updated to Lucid.

Well, Lucid's not that far off. So I left it alone and put a version of
slony reverted to building against 8.3 into the Launchpad PPA for lucid,
rather than roll back the meta-lp-deps change.

Ta. That will be useful if we can't migrate PostgreSQL to 8.4 before we migrate the servers to lucid.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/