Re: [RFC-UI] Launchpad UI Redesign

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it would be a large undertaking to implement the changes as in my mockups, but that is why I call them dramatic changes ;) I'm sort of going far away from the current UI with the hope of feedback from the Launchpad devs and users helping to scale it down. I do feel that a redesign of the UI doesn't need to happen all at once though. It is probably more beneficial to users and to implementing it to go through bit by bit and improve a single screen or single area at a time.

I'd be happy to work on a scaled back mockup for the team page this weekend. I think a half way point between my initial mockup and the current page could offer a huge usability improvement while hopefully not being a big job to implement. I'll still work on changes along the same lines as my initial mockups for other parts of the site, which hopefully can offer more ideas on how to improve other areas.

As for the comments about the mockup:

- I didn't actually see the "subteam of" portlet anywhere, which is why I didn't include it.
- I built the mockup from the perspective of a user who isn't a member yet. I can envisage the members table appearing differently for team members, showing the relevant info. A lot of the actions in launchpad are context specific, but much of the info isn't.
- I'm not sure what you mean with the Mailing List portlet. Besides creating a mailing list (which a non-team member can't do) I added all the mailing list actions I saw on the site.

I think your comments boil down to one thing: I'm not really an expert user of Launchpad. I'm coming at this from the perspective of an indie Mac developer who has some open source apps and frameworks he wants to get online. This is why I ask for the feedback, because it helps me understand the ways Launchpad is already used. ;)

Thanks

Martin