Re: [RFC-UI] Team page redesign

Hi Martin.

Thanks for making this proposal.

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 20:30 +0000, Martin Pilkington wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> After some discussion with Curtis Hovey on the list and in the IRC channel I've done a redesign of the current team page. It is scaled back from the mockup I did previously, but shares similar characteristics.
>
> I have essentially re-arranged the elements on the page, eliminating the side bar as with my previous mockup and instead moving the various actions inline, next to their appropriate info. Curtis said that it would be useful to see what has recently changed for a team, similar to on the project page, but suggested it would be better displayed in a sort of timeline of recent activity. As such I've split the page up into 3 sections: Description, Recent Activity, Other Info.
>
> http://dropbox.mcubedsw.com/skitchpics/lpteammember.png
>
> The recent activity feed can be filtered by the type of activity by
> clicking a link at the top. It also shows items that relate to new
> data in bold, eg a new question, a new bug or a new pending member.
> These are things that are likely important to be viewed, hence the
> emphasis. The side bar has all the relevant information displayed.
> Curtis mentioned that Related Projects and Packages are two of the
> most important pieces of information, hence them appearing near the
> top.
>
> This mockup shows what a member/owner of the team would see. I also
> did a slightly different mockup showing what a non-member would see
> (ignore the difference in the activity feed, they would be the same
> for all users).

The sidebar of global actions and current actions is missing from the
design. Since it does not overlap with the proposal, restoring it will
be easy. the sidebar contains Public/Private, Change details, Delete,
Contact this team, and the team poll portlet for voting.

The 3.0 design requires that the see-more link be floated to the right
of the portlet heading[1]. We place the (+) Add <the-object> kind of
links below the list so that there is a connection to where the addition
will appear. The (i) Show member photos link is missing, is that
intentional?

The mailing list portlet is missing
(https://launchpad.net/~launchpad-users). I think it should be below the
team details because it is something that users and members look for
often

I like the recent activity. I think we need to see more information
about the items in it. Such as Questions are there because they are
assigned, but do their placement in the list change if I reply to the
question? I think bugs are in the list because they are assigned as
well, and do bugs move to the top of the list if their status changes
(this is the behaviour I see in many bug listings)

As a team member, do I see a prioritised list of bugs and blueprints I
need to work on? As an team admin, I can see the pending members on the
left, but would it also make sense to see it in the right?

I think we also aspire to show branches in the list of events:
https://code.launchpad.net/~cairo-dock-team

[1] I do not link this rule, but users are quick to report
inconsistencies in the UI. Dropping the floated see-more requires
someone to change all the current portlets first.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/