Re: Bug heat and the API

On March 3, 2010, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> > Speaking from an HTTP point of view...
> >

> > derived aspects of an object that have semantic value should be
> > included in the ETag; because the ETag controls caching. Read only has
> > nothing to do with whether a change to a field should invalidate
> > caches.
>
> This is a good point. The ETag should probably stay as it is, as it's
> used for caching.

I really think that that excluding bug heat from the etag calculation is the
right thing to do at this point. It's not like this information is up-to-date
anyway. Bug heat isn't a real time data, so it shouldn't be included in the
Etag.

As a general solution to the problem, Bjorn's suggest seems like a good one,
but on this particular problem, simply remove it from the calculation. And
it's probable that simply having a way to exclude some fields from the Etag
would solve 80% of our problems very cheaply.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx