Re: RFC: Bug import ideas

On 9 March 2010 18:33, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Generally bug imports run quite quickly, on the order of a few minutes
>> for several hundred bugs. Is that too long? The bug importer also
>> creates almost all new data, rather than updates, so won't be holding
>> locks that are going to affect other people, I assume.
>
> You say "generally". How would this work in the exceptional cases
> where it takes much more than a few minutes?

Good question. Erm... a few possible answers:

 * I think there's scope to improve the bug import script performance
   a lot, perhaps enough that only massive imports would cause
   concern.

 * Depending on stub's response, it may not be an issue at all.

 * If it's okay to keep a transaction open for X minutes, then we
   could have a policy of committing every X minutes, between bugs. If
   there have been no errors, commit, else rollback. If the broken
   bugs are distributed evenly (which they won't be, natch) then this
   will approximate an all-or-nothing solution.

   For a dry run, we could take a similar approach, but rollback every
   X minutes. It may also be fine to rollback between every bug yet
   still get an accurate picture of how a non-dry run will behave.