Re: Automatic import of upstream translations into Ubuntu

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the feedback.

У чет, 18. 03 2010. у 10:56 -0400, Curtis Hovey пише:
> Hi Danilo.
>
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 17:37 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As we are starting our discussion on what approach to take for automatic
> > import of upstream translations into Ubuntu, here's our fresh LEP page:
> >
> >   https://dev.launchpad.net/Translations/Specs/UpstreamImportIntoUbuntu
> >
> > We are going to work only on getting translations out of LP hosted
> > projects into Ubuntu, simply because we are in the process of getting
> > all Ubuntu upstreams imported into Launchpad as LP projects anyway.

> > I'll be documenting what I feel needs doing for option 2 on
> >

> > https://dev.launchpad.net/Translations/Specs/UpstreamImportIntoUbuntu/FixingIsImported
> >
> > I hope Jeroen can put some of his thoughts on
> >
> > https://dev.launchpad.net/Translations/Specs/UpstreamImportIntoUbuntu/FallbackPOTMsgSet
> >
> > Anyone else, with any comments and/or ideas?  Let's discuss them and put
> > them into appropriate pages under "Thoughts" on
>
> While I favour changing the import flag given your explanation, I am
> really trusting your expert opinion.

Well, Jeroen's suggestion actually implies removing the "is_imported"
flag.  We are still trying to fight it over.

> I am interested to know how an upstream project enables this feature. Is
> it:
>       * Automatically enabled when a po dir is detected in a development
>         branch?
>       * Or does the project owner/Ubuntu contributor need to enable
>         synching on the series? (This is what happens now).

This actually happens automatically when there is a link between a
productseries and a sourcepackage.

However, what you seem to be asking is how is the initial import set up
at all: at the moment, whoever registers a project will have to do that.
As we discussed in the previous thread, there are a few lacking
permissions to be able to fix things up.  That step is our next step and
is basically what the following blueprint is all about:

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+spec/translations-import-crowdsourcing

> I think there is some confusion for project owners regarding enabling
> translations for the project, and enabling syncing for the series. Does
> this feature complicate this matter further. I think I, as a project
> owner, would like a single page that allows me configure the project and
> the series to bring context to the actions.

I agree: that's particularly https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/536644

However, assumption under which we are working here is that the upstream
translations are already set-up, and that there is a link between Ubuntu
source packages and product series (with translations).  Thus automatic
import of such upstream translations should be assumed if upstream has
translations.

The way I want to expand on the above blueprint is to figure out good
places to integrate existing "link to package" functionality inside
translations pages: people should not be stopped from doing what they
wanted while they are helping set these up.

Cheers,
Danilo