Re: [tech] Help creating the Architectural Vision!

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:01:40PM +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> On 31/03/10 19:59, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >so, it's time for the Technical Architect team to tackle its first task.
> >Create the Launchpad Architectural Vision.
> >
> >First of all, what is it? It's aimed to be documents that describe the
> >different parts of Launchpad. It will explain how Launchpad works, which
> >moving parts are involved, and how it will fit together. It will also
> >explain the various sub-systems, and explain how to do various things in
> >Launchpad code.
>
> >These are the things I thought of so far that should be included:
>
> >Anything missing?
>
> Hi Bjorn,
>
> As a high level framework, I'd like to strongly recommend using the
> Viewpoints and Perspectives approach outlined in Software Systems
> Architecture. See http://www.viewpointsandperspectives.com/ and,
> more importantly, buy the book. It's truly excellent.

Thanks for your comments! That book looks promising, I will consider
buying it.

> >A couple of things to think about:
> >
> >     * I don't want to give too many guidelines how to write. Let's do a
> >       set-based design, look at how different people format their
> >       documentations, and consilidate later
>
> This may work out well and it may not. A huge part of being a good
> architect IMO is communicating clearly to the wide variety of
> stakeholders. I suspect you'll be more successful if you start from
> a good set of documents each with a good table of contents (vs
> letting everyone create their own).

It would be good to already have a set of documents, but I thought it
was better to get people to work on this earlier, rather than later. I
do plan on making things consistent, when I see what people have done.

> It's therefore wise IMO to start from a set of documents, each one
> of which has a clear target audience. The Vision document you've
> outlined sounds a look like the "Development Viewpoint" articulated
> by Rozanski & Woods. It's primary audience is developers. It's
> recommended content is:

Agreed. The audience here is the developers. I'll make that clear in the
document.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt