Re: [tech] Help creating the Architectural Vision!

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 04:21:08PM +1300, Michael Hudson wrote:
> >These are the things I thought of so far that should be included:
> >
> >     * Overview of Launchpad and its moving parts
> >     * job system
> >     * e-mail (sending/receiving)
> >     * Database garbage collection (garbo)
> >     * expose API methods/attributes
> >     * Web app
> >         * Browser views
> >         * TAL formatters
> >     * Librarian
> >     * Comments
> >     * DB Schema
> >     * LaunchpadScript
> >         * LaunchpadCronScript
> >     * Security policy
> >     * SSH server
>
> While there is only one SSH server now, there will hopefully be two
> soon (a poppy replacement) so here I guess we should be clear and
> say "the codehosting ssh server".

I put the ssh server there, since jml mentioned on IRC that he had a
branch that extracted the SSH server from code hosting :)

> >     * Code layout (what's in lp.code/lp.services/lp.registry/etc.)
> >     * Testing
> >         * Where to place tests
> >         * How to write tests
> >         * Layers
> >
> >Anything missing?
>
> Some bits of codehosting:
>
>  * the puller
>  * the scanner
>  * the virtual file system used to access branches
>  * code imports
>
> Also Soyuz seems to be missing entirely...

Right. I didn't put anything application-specific in there. I wanted to
concentrate on the things that are (or should be) shared across
applications. I want it to list the things that are shared, and give
guidelines on what else should be shared.

Documenting the applications themselves would be good, but it's another
project. Of course, some documention will be there, since an overview of
how Launchpad works requires it.

--
Björn Tillenius | https://launchpad.net/~bjornt