Re: Why is lp:launchpad/devel not the development focus?

On 08/04/10 13:42, Jonathan Lange wrote:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Maris Fogels<maris.fogels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi, quick question:

Today I goofed up a merge proposal created via the web interface because I
proposed to merge my branch into the "Development Focus", lp:launchpad.  It
turns out that lp:launchpad is not, in fact, where we do development work.
lp:launchpad-devel is.

So why isn't lp:launchpad-devel, the branch where we land our code, set as
the development focus?  Even if just as a convenience to those using the web
interface?

Because stacking is more efficient on branches that have more
revisions, and the development focus determines stacking, and db-devel
has the most revisions.

Well, 'more revisions' is a bit of an oversimplification. I assume the detail behind the choice is that revisions landed into devel reach db-devel usually in a matter of hours, whereas revisions landed into db-devel only reach devel once a month.

Hence, db-devel makes an adequate stacking base for branches off devel, whereas devel is a poor stacking base for branches off db-devel most of the time.

Max.