Re: Automatically setting the bug task status from the branch scanner

On 12 April 2010 06:04, Tim Penhey <tim.penhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As discussed before I'm tackling the JFDI approach and I'm going to get the
> scanner to update the bug-task status [1].
>
> I'd like the bug-task to be set to in-progress when it is linked to the
> branch, and fix-committed if it is linked to a branch that was marked as merged
> through a merge proposal.
>
> Since the scanner is a script, what do you think the best approach is so that
> the appropriate subscribers get notified?  I had a brief look at the bug code
> but it was not clear to me exactly how to proceed.

I can't find the relevant bug or thread right now, but fwiw this was
previously discussed and iirc the conclusion was that this might not
be desirable. One problem I've had with this approach is that it's
quite easy to link to a wrong bug because of a typo on the command
line, but since the user is likely to not be subscribed to
notifications from the bug in question, they might not discover the
mistake immediately. I'm not sure this is really a deciding factor,
but wanted to make sure I remind you of this problem before you
proceed.