Re: Google using site speed in search results

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This may have some bearing on finding bugs etc through google.
>
> http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html
>
> """You may have heard that here at Google we're obsessed with speed, in our
> products and on the web. As part of that effort, today we're including a new
> signal in our search ranking algorithms: site speed. Site speed reflects how
> quickly a website responds to web requests.
> """

Matt Cutts, head of Google's web spam team, has more info on his blog:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/site-speed/

A couple of interesting points from him include this on the likely
effect of this change:

In fact, if you read the official blog post, you’ll notice that the
current implementation mentions that fewer than 1% of search queries
will change as a result of incorporating site speed into our ranking.
That means that even fewer search results are affected, since the
average search query is returning 10 or so search results on each
page. So please don’t worry that the effect of this change will be
huge.

And this on what kind of sites will be able to react:

I want to pre-debunk another misconception, which is that this change
will somehow help “big sites” who can affect to pay more for hosting.
In my experience, small sites can often react and respond faster than
large companies to changes on the web. Often even a little bit of work
can make big differences for site speed. So I think the average
smaller web site can really benefit from this change, because a
smaller website can often implement the best practices that speed up a
site more easily than a larger organization that might move slower or
be hindered by bureaucracy.

Cheers,
deryck

--