Re: [tech] Converging the build and job systems (slowly and carefully)

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Both the job system and the build system are big and complicated
> systems. I think it will be quite hard to just suggest things to be
> modified one step at a time, without looking at how we want it to look
> like in the end. At least for me :)

I think that one step we can take (that Aaron suggested) is that we
ensure builds are a type of IJob.

> If Code and Soyuz people have time at UDS, I would love to see a
> document creating, summarizing the important parts of the system,
> explain how they can be unified (for example, giving example of common
> methods), and list all the steps that need to happen.

I think Aaron already has documentation on the Job system - and as I
understood it, the main concern was that builds should be a type of
Job.

We did chat briefly, and the outcome was that (bigjool's approving),
we'd delegate IJob on IBuildFarmJob (and remove all the duplicate
fields from the soyuz build model). So soyuz binary package builds,
and SPRecipeBuilds (and anything else that is a IBuildFarmJob) will be
a type of IJob.

Aaron, can you confirm that this is a step you think we can take now
(as if so, I hope to do it as part of the current build refactoring,
as per the previous email in this thread).

Cheers,
Michael