Re: Anyone here doing Launchpad development in VMs?

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 23:56 -0400, Karl Fogel wrote:
> I've heard (second hand) that some developers have found it very useful
> to do their Launchpad development in VMs.  Then you can hose your
> Postgres DBs with impunity, not worry about running rocketfuel-setup as
> root, not worry about modifying /etc/hosts, etc.

> Does anyone here have experience doing Launchpad development in a VM?
> And if so, would you like to document it in the wiki, probably linked to
> from https://dev.launchpad.net/Running?  Even just a brief mention of
> what VM package you used, along with any special configuration, would
> help -- at least it would remind people that this route is available.
>
> (Note we already have https://dev.launchpad.net/Running/Schroot linked
> from Running, offering similar benefits.  But IIUC going the full VM
> route is somewhat different from just running in a chroot jail.)
I'm running two Lucid VM's in KVM to be able to run the testsuite in two
branches sat the same time. There isn't much special about my setup
(it's just a plain Lucid install in both VMs with Launchpad installed),
but I can document it if you like.

Cheers,

Jelmer