Re: Fwd: Diffamation release

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 07:54:28 Martin Pool wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 16:50, Bjorn Tillenius <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:28:27AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> >> Some of you might have seen the cool Diffamation demo at UDS.  The
> >> code's now available, under a GPL-compatible licence.  I don't know if
> >> that means it's AGPL compatible.
> >
> > Can you summarize what Diffamation is, for those of us who didn't see
> > the demo? A get a 500 error looking at the project page.
>
> It shows the changes through a series of text documents by animated
> transitions from one version to the next.  For instance if I insert a
> word into a sentence, you will see the existing words slide apart to
> make room as the new word appears.  It would be a bit interesting to
> do this within loggerhead, though I think their existing approach is
> more tuned for prose than code, and I would not say it's the highest
> priority for Canonical developers.

I was absolutely mesmerised by that demo, I thought it was fantastic.  The bit
that really caught my eye is how it does an order of magnitude better job than
a plain diff at highlighting where the small changes are between revisions.
Having that available in some of our diff machinery would be really useful.