Re: Encourage users to provide missing information

On 29 June 2010 03:48, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [1] Downloads is fundamentally broken. Users want in order of
> precedence: a distro archive, a PPA, a downloadable package, a
> downloadable release, a branch. The ways users really want to get
> software are not present. The Download portlet caters to distro
> packagers and win/mac packages. It sucks to be an Ubuntu user. We cannot
> decide of the portlet is for stable or development downloads, so the
> user cannot trust what is listed. Maybe we should move the content of
> the portlet into the main content where we can elaborate about what it
> is? We need to replace +downloads with +get-software.

+1

To improve this it might be nice to start with some wireframes for
what actual projects put on their own /download page and how that
would map into Launchpad.

You could do worse than just let them provide arbitrary text (with
links) for download instructions, so then we can explain which PPA to
use, installation instructions, etc.  The next thing I would want is
an easy way to say "and insert here a link to the most recent release
on the 2.2 series."

People may want to mention more than one series, but they don't
necessarily want to mention every active series.

Anyhow I suppose there's not much point going into this in detail
unless it's scheduled.

--
Martin