Re: We have a new technical architect

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Francis J. Lacoste
<francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Launchpadders,
>
> It's my pleasure to announce that Robert Collins will be joining the Launchpad
> team as the new Technical Architect. He brings his great experience and whole-
> system thinking that he applied successfully on the Bazaar project.
>
> He'll be giving a presentation next Monday at the epic on his plans for
> Launchpad architecture - that seduced the interviewers.
>
> Since he's new to the code base, he'll also be talking to as many of you as he
> can to pick your brains on the parts of the system you know best. Let's give
> him a warm welcome!

Thanks Francis!

I'm pumped!

Seriously, I'm extremely excited to be moving into this role; LP and
the community that make it are really important to me - it's a
privilege to take on this challenge.

I'm going to save the slides for the Epic where all the Canonical
staff will be getting together for a week; I will post a link to them
here after the talk has been given. (This is code for 'oh crap I must
write them now' :) ).

I'm very interested in the things that are working (or not) for us in
the design of Launchpad. If there is something you want to accomplish
and you're not sure where to start, or how to do it tastefully, or
even if you know exactly how to do it but it doesn't feel quite right
- please grab hold of me and we can see if we can find or improve your
solution together.

I want to be really clear about this : its a wide open invite. If you
are (Doing something with API's? Putting your project structure in LP?
Working on the codebase? Managing an LP instance?) and its not
flowing, I'm interested in helping. Call me. (or IRC, or Mail, or
mumble or ...).

Equally, I'd love to hear about things that work particularly well :-
I can always use more tricks in my toolbox :)

-Rob