Re: Velocity: Overclocking SSL

On 07/08/2010 10:23 AM, Maris Fogels wrote:
On 07/08/2010 05:15 AM, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
I thought this talk might be of interest to Launchpad developers
working to
improve performance. It's aimed at HTTP sites wanting to add security,
but
I think much of the information is applicable to an existing TLS site
like
Launchpad as well.

http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html

This is a write up of the talk that I gave at Velocity 2010 last
Thursday. This is a joint work of myself, Nagendra Modadugu and Wan-Teh
Chang.)

[...]

If there's one point that we want to communicate to the world, it's that
SSL/TLS is not computationally expensive any more. Ten years ago it
might have been true, but it's just not the case any more. You too can
afford to enable HTTPS for your users.

Nice! Thanks Matt, that is very timely and topical for what we are doing
on the Foundations team right now. The slides have already have me
thinking of a tuning point or two we could look at to improve
Launchpad's SSL performance.

Thanks!

Maris

For interest's sake, here is a quick SSL tuning checklist I wrote from the points in the presentation (you still need the presentation for context):

  http://ubuntuone.com/p/93Y/

Maris