Re: Archive deletion strategy

On 02/08/10 22:09, James Westby wrote:
> (Note that uploading the same version as before with different contents
> isn't a problem with apt. Apt will do the right thing and get you the
> new version, but there may be other tools that break.)

Mmm, I disagree.

I've observed Apt doing the following:

1) Aha! The package in the archive has changed its metadata! You need to
upgrade from version 1.0-1 to version 1.0-1.
2) But, I already have version 1.0-1 in /var/cache/apt/archives/ so I
don't need to download it.
3) Oh noes! The installed package is still different from the archive!
You need to upgrade from version 1.0-1 to version 1.0-1.

... repeat infinitely, until you manually purge the old version from
/var/cache/apt/archives/, so that Apt actually downloads the package,
rather than reinstalling the old incarnation of the version number.

Basically, reusing a version in anything but very special "rebuild test"
circumstances is bad news.

Max.